Athlete's Feat


Monday, August 19, 2013

The ‘I don’t need any help’ syndrome

Editor's Note:
Today's Post comes courtesy of the newest contributing blogger to Athlete's Feat Lauren Napolitano, PsyD. 

Lauren Napolitano, PsyD is a Licensed Psychologist in private practice in Bryn Mawr.  She has been on staff at Bryn Mawr Hospital since 2009.  Dr. Napolitano specializes in helping women to reinvent their lives after undergoing a stressful change (for example, divorce, illness, loss, career transition).  She believes that laughter and exercise are two of the best forms of therapy.  She is the mother to 2 daughters, an avid runner, and an iced coffee fan.  For more information, please visit her website at www.laurennapolitanopsyd.com.  

The ‘I don’t need any help’ syndrome
I twisted my ankle running the ‘Race for Open Space’ 5K in Villanova on June 3rd.  Fun race, I highly recommend it.  Being the spaz that I am, however, I rolled my ankle when I tripped on a root.  What did I do?  Ask for help?  Nah, I winced and ran through the pain.

After the race, I shook off the pain and took some Advil.  I then proceeded to wear 4” heels everyday to work.  Because I was fine.  I’m tough, it was only a 5K, and I did not need any help.  My family, my colleagues and my friends asked, ‘don’t you need to see a doctor?’  My answer was ‘No, I’ve been through worse.  I know that this will resolve on its own.’
I’ll just say it: I should have asked for help. 
Read the rest of Lauren Napolitano's column here.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]